Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Savannah's Birthday and Hospital Stay

On Sunday, July 10th I we finally slept in for the first time in months til 9 am. Until a "pop" woke me up and felt I needed to use the restroom. I felt a small gush and thought "hmmm...could it be?" I went to the restroom and another small gush came out. I told Neal that there could be a possibility that my water just broke but it could be another false alarm. For the next hour more little gushes came out and we were convinced that my water broke. We called the doctor and was told to come in. Can you believe we actually showered and cleaned the house a little? We said our goodbyes to Socks...it was a liitle bitter sweet moment knowing that when we came back everything would be different.
Here's me and Savannah's last pregnancy photo shoot.
We left the house around 11 and made it to the hospital by 11:25.
We were comfy in the room by 11:34.

Here's me (obviously in no pain yet!)
After being checked by the nurse and doctor I was officially admited into the hospital by 12:00 pm. and was 2 cm dialated!
Around 2:00 they started the pitocin cause my contractions were barely there.

And here I am by 3:00 totally feeling the first waves of contractions.
The nurse put me on the pilates ball and wow did it did wonders!
By 4:00 or so I was checked again and was already at 4-5 cm!!! The  pitocin was truly working!
The nurse quickly rushed in and said "Do you want an epidural? Cause if you do I advise you get it NOW! We're really busy and have lots of C-Sections going on and you might not be able to get it if you wanted after 3-4 hours" At this time my pain level was about a 3-4...but I really didn't want to geto a point where I wanted it and couldn't get it. So I eagerly accepted the epidural!

At first I thought putting the IV would hurt cause I've heared of so many stories but it wasn't bad at all. Next, was the stories of how painful the epidurals were. I guess I had higher pain tolerance that I thought cause it felt the same as giving blood...AND he had to do it TWICE!


Meanwhile everyone was raving about our ocean view...I could care less! :)

Neal was also being an amazing coach, friend, husband and support. He was there for every contraction, reminding me to breathe and was the voice of angel who reported to me when the contraction was almost over. He massaged my feet and legs and I couldn't have done it without him!

Below are some pictures of our fam bam waiting long hours for her arrival!

Patients and visitors thought my Dad was working Security and happened to fall asleep on the job!

My sister making the best out of the chairs!

Grandma Sylvia who got there around 3 wins for waiting the longest!!!

And Auntie Paula also patiently waiting after a long drive from Vegas!

Here's my "OHMIGOSH" look when the nurse told me that I was 8 cm dialated at 8 pm! I was so close to 10!

Unfortunately, my easy labor came to holt when the epidural wore off and I felt PAIN!!! I tried to "ride it out" thinking that I was suppose to be feeling those feelings. Until finally I had enough and had the anesthesiologist come in and check my pain medication. He added more medicine and though I felt every contraction I wasn't about to tear the handles off the hospital bed anymore!

By 10:30 I was at 10 cm and was ready to push but there weren't enough staff on the floor for my nurse to stay with me...so I had to hold off! Finally, at 11:00 I was told I could start pushing...it really wasn't as bad as I thought and was actually making jokes mid pushing. But after an hour of pushing I started to wonder if I would ever get her out! The doctor came in to come help...all I kept hearing was that her head was too big for me and they needed a vaccuum and more assistance. Finally with the help of all those at 12:31 am July 11, 2011 Savannah was born!

Here she is being cleaned up...

She weighed in at 8 lbs 1 oz and 20 inches long!

Savannah with Dr. Feldman

Finally, we got our skin to skin time!

This was the most amazing feeling!


Our first family picture :)

Finally around 1:15 am our family finally got to meet her!

Our little burrito! Or should I say big burrito? :)

Our plan was to breastfeed 100% but her blood sugar was so low it wouldn't even register that we had to immediately feed her...so here's Neal feeding Savannah's first meal out of my tummy :)

By 3:00 am we were transferred to another floor for recovery...I didn't sleep a wink and stared at her the whole time!

The nurse came in around 6:30 am to give her her first bath. At first she liked it....

But then got mad when she started messing with her hair!

Fresh and Clean!

Savannah and her first outfit :)

Savannah wondering who the hec am I!

Grandma Dolly and Savannah

Papa and his newest Princess


Savannah and Auntie Mags

Savannah and Auntie Paula

Savannah showing off her red little lips and flowers from Neal's work

Enjoying our Celebratory Dinner

More Lolas came to visit!


Great-Lola was sooooooo thrilled to finally meet her Savi.

She couldn't get enough of her cheeks and lips!

Auntie Monette and Savannah

Love that they have the same haircut!

Auntie Chona and Savannah

Auntie Sue and Savannah

Auntie Lani and Savannah


She was amazed at her red lips!

Great Grandma Julia love :)

Auntie Shirley and Savannah

Me admiring her big cheeks and lips :)

Unfortunately on Tuesday...30 mins before we "thought" we were going to get discharged we got some sad news that her blood sugar was still too low and needed treatment for jaundice.
For the first time throughout the pregnancy and labor I couldn't control my tears! They rolled in this huge machine and it just looked so intimidating. I thought it was something I did wrong and I felt terrible!

But after all the doctors and nurses explained...it had nothing to do with the pregnancy and that 1 out of 3 babies need jaundice treatment. She basically had too much red blood cells and her little liver couldn't process it fast enough. So we were stuck at the hospital for another day and sadly no one could barely hold her except for feedings and change of diapers.

Savannah and Auntie Keista

Me enjoying the few minutes we have out of her little cube.

Daddy and Savannah playing.
By Wednesday morning we were really hoping and wishing that her numbers were good and she could go home with us. Thankfully, they were good enough to take her home but she still needed to have treatment at home...which was a little disappointing but at least we all got to leave together!

So we dressed our little cupcake up!

Daddy giving her a last minute speech about the world...

So HAPPY to be going home!

10 steps away from Savannah seeing the outside world!

Our going home family picture :)

Nice and comfy!

And now the journey begins!

0 comments:

Post a Comment