Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The time Socks went to the Hospital

On Friday we went to Socks' favorite place...the Spectrum. We're not sure why but she has a BLAST every time we go there (I think she secretly loves all the attention she gets from people telling her how cute she is!)
She even saw her good old friend again when I first took her to the Spectrum...she was only about 12 weeks old!


On Saturday we went to a prayer/viewing for my Aunt's mom in Long Beach. It was a sad gathering but a lot of people were in good spirits and it was great to see some family and friends we haven't seen in awhile.

Everyone's been trying to guess if Baby is a boy or girl now that I have a little Baby Bump going on. All the Old Wives Tale were being thrown at me: from how the shape of the belly is to how my face has changed. 

I found this site and thought it was pretty funny and interesting....

Here are some of my faves:
Old Wives Tale #3:  Cravings Curse
This old wives tale is fun to hang over Tarzan’s head.  Basically if anyone denies a pregnant woman whatever she is craving, they will get a sty in his/her eye.  Personally, I think all men should read this and always give into whatever us pregnant women want!  For their own benefit, of course.

Old Wives Tale #13:  Ring Test
Using a string, hang your wedding ring over your pregnant belly.  You are having a girl if the ring swings back and forth  and it’s a boy if it swings in a circle.

Old Wives Tale #31:  Mom’s Beauty
Basically you are having a girl if your beauty disappears during pregnancy.  It is said that the girl “steals” the mother’s beauty.  If you think that pregnancy has never made you look more beautiful, you might just be having a little boy.  

Old Wives Tale #35:  Side You Most Rest On
If a pregnant woman prefers to lay on her left side, she’s having a boy.  If she prefers resting on her right side, she’s having a girl.  I prefer my right side lately.  Hmm.

Old Wives Tale #41:  Morning Sickness
If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy.  If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl. 


We also went house hunting this weekend with my parents. We started at 10 in the morning and didn't end til 3 in the afternoon!!! We saw everything from houses that looked like a jungle to houses that could've been our dream house! We drove with the realtor and thought we were all going to die from the way he was driving! We still haven't found the perfect house...so until then we'll keep on looking (but I think we'll drive separatly from the realtor next time!)


Unfortunately, Socks has not been feeling well. Around 2:30 in the morning on Monday I heard a weird sound and then heard her run under the bed. I knew something was wrong cause she loves sleeping in between us. I turned on the light and right in the middle of our room was Socks' #2 on the runs...I quickly woke Neal up cause my gagging reflex quickly kicked in. I sat in the living room watching from a distance trying to help (throwing paper towels and plastic bags from a good distance). At this time she was still under the bed and we couldn't get her out. Neal lifted the mattress to try to pull her out only to find that she made 2 more messes!!! I was quickly put on duty to give her a bath. A BATH! at 3 in the morning!!! I couldn't complain cause it was the least I can do since Neal was in the room cleaning it up like a CSI crime scene. She looked so sick we couldn't even be mad at her that she had an accident. Finally after an hour of interruption into our beauty sleep we all went back to sleep. But when Neal took her out that morning she still wasn't feeling well so we locked her up downstairs the rest of the day while we were at work.
Neal came home early and I quickly got a call to call Socks into the Vet. Hospital. It was a good thing we locked her up cause she had an accident about 4 times and was vomitting. I quickly left work and picked them up and off we went to the hospital.
By the time I picked them up...Neal said she had to go again only this time it was all blood. I felt like crying!!! I wish I could take the pain away from her. It was a little stressful cause we were going to a new doctor's office cause her old one is all the way in Newport Beach. But thankfully, the one down the street from our house let us come in. The doctor checked her out and I felt so bad cause she kept looking up at me and Neal like "HELP ME! There's a strange lady touching me!" The doctor said she probably ate something bad at my parents' backyard and it's some kind of bacteria. We brought in a sample of her stool to show her the blood and she said if it continues then we have to bring her back in for more tests. Socks was given 3 medications...one to treat the bacteria, another to coat and rebuild her stomach and the last to relieve her from pain. POOOOOOR SOCKSY! And since she's had diahrrea and vomitting for almost 24 hours she was sooooo dehydrated.
They did a Subcutaneous Fluid procedure where they stuck a needle in her back underneath her skin. When they gave her back to us we were soooo excited to see her but I was quickly taken in shock cause they didnt warn us that she would look like a hunched-back dog! It was the oddest thing! She had a huge lump probably the size of Neal's hand and when you touched it it was freezing! Immediately though we noticed that she was in good spirits. The rest of the night we rubbed her back so the fluids would get absorbed and even out.
After an hour it started to move down...she looks like she has one boob!

I love the look in her eyes here: "Mom, stop touching my boob"

It finally started to get smaller!
We knew she felt a lot better cause she was looking for food. We made her boiled chicken and white rice (that'll have to be her diet for the next week or so...but I don't think she's complaining!). We all had a sleepover in our downstairs bedroom in case she had another accident...we'd rather clean up the wood floors than our carpet! It was a pretty rough night for me cause I kept waking up to check on her to see if 1. she was still breathing and comfortable and 2. that she wasn't having another accident! And every time I checked...she was KNOCKED out peacefully in between us. Hopefully we only had a 24 hour scare. But for now she will have to be on a strict diet and medication.

 In all of this commotion...sitting in the waiting room I suddenly realized how hard parenting will be. As silly as it sounds, I was truly heartbroken knowing that Socks wasn't feeling well. So sad that I left work and made a frantic phone call to the vet that we had an EMERGENCY. Neal laughed (as did the nurse) when I said "I HAVE AN EMERGENCY YOU HAVE TO SEE OUR DOG NOW!"...Neal said "It's not like her head was hanging off her body!" But as we sat there waiting for Socks...I was reassured that no matter how hard it will be to raise our child (or dog) and see them go through pain we will always have each other for support and reasoning. My voice of reason, Neal, reiterated that these are the things that come in life and everything will be okay as long as we are dedicated to each other and our kids. Still it scares me a little that I can feel this way about our dog...what more with our child? Like how can you protect them from getting hurt...or feeling guilty that maybe you didn't watch them closely enough.
I guess it is true that they say motherhood and parenting is the hardest job you'll ever have...I wish Socks will be a puppy forever and Baby can stay in my tummy forever.

I guess all this fear is normal...if we weren't scared we wouldn't be good parents right? I think the hardest part will be learning to balance being protective and not being too overprotective. All I know is that Socks and this Baby will be the luckiest! We love both of them so much and their grandparents are equally crazy about them too!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment