Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Socks in the ER

Last night as Neal and I were making dinner one of the worst moments ever happened. I was just about to turn on the oven when I turned around cause Socks was making noise right behind me. I turned around to see her in an arching-back standing position. At first I thought she was about to go #2 right in our kitchen…but then it was like she was trying to gallop. Neal turned around and screamed “She’s having a seizure!”…right then she fell on her side and was stiff with her jaw locked up. It was the most horrible feeling to stand over her not knowing how to help her. Neal cradled her and we just kept trying to talk her through it…well I was more like half crying pleading with her to come back to normal. Neal kept instructing me to call the vet but no one would pick up!!! I even saw Neal trying to blow into her mouth and him trying to calm her down. I kept thinking “she’s only 2 years old…she can’t be having a seizure it has to be something else!” I got even more terrified when Neal scooped her up and said “Let’s go! We’re going to the hospital!!!” The garage door couldn’t open fast enough and those stupid red lights couldn’t turn green fast enough! I started crying as I looked over with Socks in Neal’s lap and she was looking at me with her big brown eyes trembling and shaking.

We ran into the hospital with me screaming “OUR DOG IS HAVING A SEIZURE!”…Neal runs in right behind me holding Socks…urination all over him sweating like crazy! My heart broke when he handed Socks over to the nurse and Socks looked at us like “I’m sorry! Don’t give me to her..I promise I won’t do it again”…as if it were her fault. The nurse of course got peed on as well! As Neal was filling out forms I looked down and noticed that he wasn’t even wearing any shoes! The wait seemed forever and we thought back like crazy trying to figure out what could have happened.

The doctor finally called us in after 30 mins…he seemed nice but all I really wanted to do was go into a burst of tears. Neal spoke most of the time even though he was still trembling. The doctor said that sometimes it happens once in their life and then never comes back with no explanation or she’ll be diagnosed with it and will have to go on medication. I started to calm down until he said “we’ll have to observe her for the next 12 hours”…it was then the waterworks came and I couldn’t stop! I know the best thing for her was to stay and be observed but all I really wanted to do was to take her home and watch her ourselves. I said sorry to the doctor and blamed it on pregnancy horomones cause I was more embarrassed that I couldn’t control it…but I think they pure tears of sadness and not pregnancy! It was then Neal looked over and chuckled at our outfits…there he was with no shoes on and pee all over his shorts and then there was me crying my eyes out wearing a shirt that said “I’m Pregnant and Perfect”.

They said we could say good night to her so we waited another 20 minutes in the waiting room. Neal tried to distract things by talking about that Disney movie “Tangled” and how we’ve been looking for it in every store wanting to buy it and how crazy that it was playing the lobby and that this is how we ended up watching it. There was also a lady rambling about Obama and doing some speech…and all I could think of was “Socks just needs a hug!” I told myself I wouldn’t cry when we saw her but that kinda didn’t happen!
Here's Socks with bells on her collar...it was so in case she went into another seizure they would be alerted

And the poor little girl with needles in her arm

She was in a kennel with bells on her collar tucked into a corner. As soon as we walked up she shook her butt like crazy and wagged her tail. I cried cause I was so happy she recognized us! They let us take her out and it was so sad to see her with a catheter in her arm and was bandaged up. She gave me the biggest hug and kiss…and I cried even more cause I thought she needed a hug but the way she hugged me it was as if she knew I was the one that needed it. Her hug was like “I’m so sorry for whatever I did...please don’t leave me in here” as soon as she gave me my hugs she climbed over my shoulders and gave Neal the biggest hug and kiss ever! She was so excited to see us that she kept climbing over my shoulder to go from me to Neal. I even asked her if she wanted me to sneak her into my purse! Neal kept whispering…Babe, don’t cry…you have to be strong for her! But as soon as Neal tried to put her into the crate it was him who couldn’t part with her! He pulled her out and we spent another 5 minutes with her. After questioning some of the nurses there and scoping out the place and introducing her to her kennel-mates (which were cats!) we thought it was time to leave her. I was doing fine until Neal locked the crate and she stood up in the crate and cried the loudest I’ve ever heard her cry. I on the other didn’t help the situation and started crying myself…we had to get out of there and it was the most heartbreaking thing to hear her cry as we walked out into the lobby.

Driving home was an eerie feeling. We called both of our families and everyone is so loving and supportive of Socks. I mostly got a reminder from Neal and my mom that I needed to calm down for me and Savannah. In reality that WAS me being calm for me and Savannah! I think one of the hardest thing to do is to try and control your emotions! Coming into the house was also sad cause either she’s leading the way to the stairs or she’s coming down to greet us. We walked into the house with all the lights on, tv on, turkey meat out in the open, and the kitchen a mess! We no longer had an appetite and was just super drained! It was then I overheard that Osama had been killed. Crazy how so many things could go down in a few hours. As we watched CNN the rest of the night to take our mind off of Socks…we couldn’t help recalling the moments of what happened. Neal looked exhausted and I really have to give him credit for taking over and dealing with a pregnant wife! Our turkey burger dinner turned into cereal and milk at 11 at night without our Socks.

Going to bed was one of the hardest things…but we called the hospital to check on her and they gave her raving reviews! She just went on a potty break and no signs of seizures…we laid in bed and was sad she wasn’t in between us. Neal rubbing lotion on my tummy and Savannah wasn’t the same without Socks trying to get into the mix. Savannah was very active last night and kept playing with Neal as he rubbed lotion. It was then we realized how precious, hard, joyous, scary and a blessing it is to be parents. He tried to tuck me to bed by putting a balled up blanket in between in my legs as if it were Socks and rubbed my belly saying everything will be alright. As he fell asleep I was wide awake still thinking about Socks but also appreciating and realizing that I am so lucky to have Neal by my side.

As he snored the night away that usually annoys me…I couldn’t help tear up a little out of happiness this time…knowing that Socks was going to be alright and that Neal is just a great person. In those crazy 3-4 hours…he managed to control the situation…comfort Socks, make sure I was okay, and sooth Savannah…all of this and no SHOES! And at the same time experience that horrible moment himself and get his feelings and emotions in control. Needless to say I probably slept a total of 3 hours…and it was again I was reminded of how lucky I am when we woke up. We woke up and looked at each other with sadness that our little girl wasn’t there to wake us up with her kisses and hugs…so Neal leaned over and nuzzled and gave me kisses like Socks would! How lucky am I, Savannah and Socks?

We called the hospital on our way to work and they said she’s doing great, just a little skiddish (well she’s always skiddish!) and that we could pick her up at noon! We can’t wait to see her!!! We love you SOCKSY!!!...and we appreciate every ounce of happiness and love you give to us every day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment